Emergency Shut-Off Locations & Procedures
How to Shut Off Gas
If you suspect a gas leak or can smell escaping gas, shut off the gas.
- Shut off the gas at the valve which is on the pipe that comes up out of the ground and goes into your gas meter.
- This valve can be turned with a crescent wrench so the flat part of the valve is perpendicular to the direction of the pipe (this is the closed position). Better yet, get and keep a simple gas shut-off wrench tied to the gas meter with twine. (Relight any pilots after turning back on)
- Call your Gas Company and report the leak.
How to Shut Off Electricity
- Locate the circuit breaker box.
- Locate the main breaker within the circuit breaker box.
- Flip the main breaker switch to the OFF position.
How to Shut Off Water
- If the leak is at a sink, toilet, washing machine, water heater or other location with a
secondary shut-off valve for that specific location, and the leak is occurring at a point past the
shut-off valve, turn the handle or valve to the right (clockwise) to tighten and shut off the
- If the foregoing procedure does not work, use the same procedure at the secondary shut-off
valve (usually located at the front of the house or in the garage where the water service
enters the home) or at the main water meter shut-off (usually located near the curb at the
street), as necessary due to the location of the leak.
- Check with your neighbors or the local water utility to confirm the service has not been shut
down in your area.
- You should know where all these valves are and how to operate them before an earthquake.