HRB Minutes June 2013
Present: Julia Wan, Michele Walot, Sandrine Scherson, Ginny Mumm, Mike McNally, Steve Cauffman, Jeffrey Beckwith, Andrew Herndon, Ron Reid
Peter Bowler of the Department of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology gave a talk at the community center on the area wildlife in the preserve and marsh. Photographs taken by board member Sandrine Scherson illustrated the lecture. Approximately 70 people attended the event on Sunday, June 2, 2013 at the community center.
The Summer Solstice Art and Music Festival is set for Saturday, June 22, 2013 at the community center.
15+ artists will display their work and four musical groups will perform throughout the day. The musical groups are the Sylvesters, Jean Luc Rolando, the Footnotes from University High School, and Wan Yeung who will play the guitar and Chinese guitar.
The next movie is Apollo 13 which will be shown in the Gabrielino Park on Friday, June 28, 2013. The documentary Man on a Wire will be shown on Friday, July 26 and Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs will be shown on Saturday, August 10, 2013. Along with this film, two telescopes will be available for sky watching (weather permitting) and the annual Uhills camp out will be held after the movie. A coffee truck will arrive at 7:00 a.m. the following morning to serve coffee, smoothies, tea, and pastries for the overnighters.
The HRB will not meet in July. The next meeting will be at 4:00 p.m. on Tuesday, August 5, 2013 at the community center.
In conjunction with the reserve study, ICHA management will be adding a new fence along Gabrielino to replace the current degrading wood fence. The new fence is a post and rail design and should be completed by the end of June. ICHA management will also replace the trellises in the community garden park at the end of Vista Bonita and the trellis at the Urey pool will be completed by the end of June. Painting of the trellises on Mistral Lane, Agave Park, Gabrielino pool, and Vista Bonita Park will be completed by the end of June.
At the request of the HRB, ICHA Management will replace the majority of the Koelreuteria trees on Frost and Fuertes by the end of June. The new trees will be Metrosideros Excelsus (New Zealand Christmas tree) at approved locations.
New pool furniture will be in place at the Los Trancos and Urey pools by the end of June/early July. A 100% recycled plastic design was approved by the HRB.
Uhills children’s swim lessons will begin at the Urey pool in mid-July. The HRB supports this service provided by UCI Campus Recreation and has again extended the lessons to the University Montessori School, taking into consideration that approximately 50% of the children are University Hills residents.
The HRB examined and rated proposed designs for the Area 10 recreation amenities. The final selected design was sent forward to the ICHA Board of Trustees for further discussion.
ICHA Community Development
Community Update June 2013
- Management reviewed the Area 10 recreational amenity conceptual design with the HRB in early June. The HRB offered helpful suggestions and supports the concept that will be presented to the Board. The HRB understands that this is only a concept and that cost estimates will be obtained before final approval.
- An ICHA Open House will be held in mid-September to answer questions and to display information on the soon to commence second phase of the Area 10 development and recreation designs.
- The Community wide garage sale, Salvation Army recycling, green waste mulch give‐away and oversize item throw‐a‐way was very well attended. A second 40 cubic yard trash bin was filled with debris in support of U Hills cleaning up and clearing out!
- The HRB sponsored the first of four Movies in the Parks in late May. Approximately 150 residents attended. “Field of Dreams” was shown and free popcorn distributed to all.
- The HRB sponsored a mini lecture on the UCI Ecological Preserve featuring Dr. Peter Bowler and resident Sandrine Biziaux. Sandrine presented a number of her photographs of wildlife and Peter spoke on multiple aspects of interest, including the recent Cactus Wren re‐habitation program.
- The HRB will be sponsoring a Summer Solstice Art and Music Festival on June 22nd. 20 resident artists will display their arts and crafts. Resident musical groups and the University High School a cappella singers will provide entertainment.
- The third “Coffee on Us” is scheduled for June 19th in the community building Social Center. All residents and ICHA staff and Board members are invited.
- A bocce ball court has been designed and approved by the HRB and will be installed on the Community Center grounds west of the activity rooms.
- Both Condo Associations held their annual elections and approved their 2013‐2014 fiscal year budgets in May without a dues increase.
- Townhome common area lights on the exterior of all units were changed out in accordance with the reserve report.
- Tile shower and plumbing hardware at the Urey pool was upgraded and replaced.
Work in Progress:
- Tree removal and replacement on 2 streets in Area 8 is under way.
- The Gabrielino Community Park wood rail fence (along Gabrielino Drive) is being replaced with a concrete fence. Chain link fencing replacement at the park field will be completed this month as well.
- Mistral Lane trellises, Agave Park trellis and Vista Bonita Park trellis are in the process of being painted and will be completed by fiscal year end.
- Painting of all three pool cabanas, trellises and perimeter fencing is in process.
- Furniture replacement for the Los Trancos and Urey pools will be reviewed by the HRB at their June meeting.
- The replacement of several trellises in the Garden Park will be reviewed by the HRB at their June meeting.
- Asphalt slurry proposals are in progress for Area 8.
- 3 landscaping plans
- 2 room additions
- 2 house repaintings
- 1 pre‐fab enclosed patio room.