Attending: Mike McNally, Julia Wan, Ginny Mumm, Michele Walot, Sandrine Scherson, Ron Reid, Andrew Herndon, Jeff Beckwith
Julia Wan reported for the Entertainment Committee. The Fall Fiesta will be held on Sunday, September 22 from 1:00 until 5:00 p.m. in the Gabrielino Park. Tacos and Company and Gina’s Pizza will cater food. Beverages will include lemonade and water. Families are encouraged to bring additional beverages of their own choosing. Fresh fruit cups and frozen fruit bars will also be served. The Fiesta will have hamster balls and bounce houses for the children, along with a variety of other games they may play. The Balloon Lady will make balloon objects for the children. A coffee stand will be provided as well. This year’s event will feature a variety of vendors / demonstration booths and ICHA management will also have a booth.
The Halloween Party will be held on Saturday, October 26 from 7:00 until 9:00 p.m. Snacks will be served and a film will be shown as well. Additional details are pending.
The Holiday Bazaar will be held on Saturday, December 7 from 10:00 until 4:00. Vendors will be able to set up beginning at 8:30. The HRB will provide lunches for the vendors. Coffee will be available for holiday shoppers. Marta Crane and Sandrine Scherson will coordinate the event.
Santa Claus and Mrs. Claus will visit the community center on Saturday, December 21 between 7:00 and 9:00 p.m. Santa and Mrs. Claus will have gifts for the children. Cookies and juice will be served for the kids and coffee for the adults. The Footnotes from Uni High will sing, and there will be holiday music on the piano.
The HRB decided not to differ from the Campus on the UC Smoking Policy. Smoking is already prohibited at the pools, parks, and apartments. There is however, concern involving an enforcement mechanism. This issue may warrant further discussion at a later date.
Crowding at the swimming pools remains an issue on occasions. One recent Sunday the pools and Jacuzzis were jammed. The Jacuzzi should have no more than 10 occupants at a time. The chemicals used to clean the water are not effective when the Jacuzzi has too many people in it. A resident submitted a photo showing 2 adults and 21 children in the Jacuzzi. People who reserve the barbeque areas for parties are not reserving use of the pools.
ICHA advised the Board that the preliminary bidding of the conceptual recreation improvements was continuing to come in well above the estimated numbers. Further plan refinement and specification clarifications will continue through September. Management hopes to present preliminary concepts to the HRB in October.
ICHA Management presented a brief PowerPoint on recent additions, community activities, maintenance and Reserve improvement upgrades for the community. Photos were shown representing Garden Park Trellis upgrades, street resurfacing, trellis and cabana repairs and painting, pool fence painting, Mistral Lane trellis painting, new concrete fence installation at Gabrielino Park, new chain-link ball field fence at Gabrielino Park, nw trellis at the Urey Pool. Kids’ water feature addition at Gabrielino Park, new Recycled pool furniture, new Bocce Ball court addition at the Community Center, kids’ playground wood chip additions, garage sale and Earth Day events, new tree additions in Area 8 and a volunteer Boy Scout tree planting event.
- The community wide Fall Fiesta is scheduled for Sunday September 22 from noon to 5:00pm at the Gabrielino Community Park. There will be food, entertainment and games and there will be several garden and green technology consultants hosting information booths. In support of National Preparedness Month, UCI PD Emergency Preparedness coordinators and the City of Irvine CERT Team coordinators will have a booth to educate our residents on being ready formany kinds of emergencies. ICHA senior managers will participate with their own booth. All Board members are invited.
- The last of the HRB summer movies in the parks (Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs) was shown on August 10th in conjunction with the annual U Hills campout. Approximately 200 viewers enjoyed the movie. The HRB hosted a coffee truck for the early Sunday morning campers, dog park users and casual walkers visiting the park.
- Management has met and is working with a number of campus departments to better control use of the Ecological Reserve by U Hills residents and others. Drinking, smoking, fires, loose dogs, fireworks, trail cutting, unauthorized bicycling and after dark use has raised environmental and safety concerns.
- Townhome wrought iron entry gates were painted.
- Area 7 parking areas were expanded. So Cal Edison funded the project to make up for spaces that were lost as part of the Edison ISGD program.
- Various asphalt and sidewalk stretches were repaired.
Work in Progress:
- Ultrasonic testing of all street light structures to determine pole structural integrity is in process and should be completed by the end of September.
- Asphalt slurry for Area 8 streets will be completed in September. All estimates have come in substantially higher than the reserve estimates anticipated due to higher oil costs.
- 2 landscaping plans (Area 10)
- 2 house paintings (older areas)
- 1 driveway gate installation (Area 8)
- 1 patio cover (Area 8)